This recipe is the best authentic Tres Leches Cake. Tres leches mean, “three milk”, an ultra-light spongy cake soaked in a sweet milk mixture made of sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk and whole milk and topped with fresh whipped cream and strawberries. The cake is similar to an angel food cake. The whipped egg whites in the batter make it extra light and spongy. This simple Mexican dessert is one of my family’s favorites!
- For Milk Syrup
- For Serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly sprays a 9x9'' pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
- Separate the eggs yolk and whites into two separate bowls.
- Add ½ cup sugar to the bowl with the egg yolks and mix on high speed until yolks are pale yellow. Add milk and vanilla and stir to combine.
- Pour the egg yolk mixture over the flour mixture and stir gently just until combined.
- Beat the egg whites on high speed. Gradually add the remaining ¼ cup of sugar as you mix and continue beating until stiff peaks.
- Fold egg whites into the batter gently, just until combined. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick is inserted in the center of the cake, it comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cake to cool completely.
- For the milk syrup, combine the evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, and whole milk in a small bowl.
- Once the cake has cooled, use a fork to poke holes all over the top of the cake.
- Slowly pour the milk mixture over the top of the cake, making sure to pour near the edges and all around.
- Refrigerate the cake for at least 1 hour or overnight to allow it to soak up the milk.
- In the meantime, whip the heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla until stiff peaks. Smooth over the top of the cake.
- Sprinkle cinnamon on top and serve with fresh sliced strawberries, if desired. Enjoy!